Film zany Michael Schlesinger enjoyed ribbing me with this ‘top-ten list’ he conjured for arts•meme:
Top ten things choreographer Jack Cole
liked about Christmas
10) Holiday spectaculars at Radio City Music Hall — boy, can them Rockettes kick or what?
9) People telling me how much they love “The Christmas Song.” (Oh, wait, sorry, that’s Nat “King” Cole.)
8 ) Staging lavish production numbers which allow me to indulge my passion for elf-tossing.
6) Folks who give me “cole” slaw as gag gifts. Hey, free food is still free food, am I right, people?
5) Ringing Bob Fosse’s doorbell and then running away. Man, that never gets old!
4) No Number 4—writers busy watching Cover Girl on “Million Dollar Movie.”
3) Telling people, “No, thanks, I don’t need any more fruitcake. I’m working with Danny Kaye.” Hi-Yo!
2) Watching that Levine kid run away screaming whenever I answer the door and yell, “Booga! Booga!”
and the Number One thing Jack Cole liked about Christmas:
1) Every year, Gwen Verdon gives out a little sweet charity, if you know what I mean.